Distance from Riga 202 km (A6)
The Jewish community started forming after 1772. In 1897, the 1,375 Jews, who lived in the town, made up 75% of its overall population. By 1935 there were 952 Jewish residents in Varaklani. They made up 58% of its entire population. This was the highest percentage of the Jews among all towns and cities in Latvia of that time.
The Nazi troops entered Varaklani in the early July 1941. On the 4th of August 1941 all the Jews remaining in the town were executed beyond the Jewish cemetery. After the war not more that 10 Jewish families lived in Varaklani. At present, only one Jew lives in formerly “the most Jewish” town in Latvia.
Cemetery, Kapsētas, 10a. It was opened in late 18th – early 19th century. Some graves have been restored. The last burial was carried out in 1988. There are two monuments in memory of the victims of the Holocaust and the Beit Tahara at the cemetery.
The White Synagogue, Skolas, 3. This is the only one of three town synagogues, which was not destroyed. The brick building erected in 1817, was reconstructed in 1925. At present, it is being used as a shoe repair workshop.